Monday, January 2, 2012

The Great Escape

I was informed recently that I should blog more so here I am. I had planned on blogging about nothing in particular, just the hum-drum that is our lives but them something happened.

Now before I even start this, I am usually very happy to receive advice on child rearing and smile and take every old wives tale and tried and true practice to heart. Why reinvent the wheel anyway, other mothers have blazed the trail before myself, let them do all the heavy lifting and brain work. Yes, most of the time I am open to kind words of wisdom.

Now with all of that said, please do not inform me that my 16 month old should be sleeping through the night by herself.

I know this.
I suck.
I am sure your kid sucked his thumb until he was 6 but I am not casting any glances your way now am I?

Yes, I should have sleep trained her. No, I shouldn't have let her fall asleep on my boob after the 3rd round of breast feeding that night. Yes, I should have put her back in the crib when she looked up at me and made me give her bear a Night Night kiss. I know these things. And yes, she has slept some complete nights in her own bed, just not a lot.

So back to the something that happened. We're just going back to school schedule after Christmas break and after letting a young child stay up for New Year's Eve there are certain prices a parent must pay. Lousy bedtime routine is one of them. So I just put the Sweet Baby down in the bed after rocking and milk, told her good night and jetted. She cried for about 10 minutes I went and calmed her down, tried fake sleeping on her floor but she didn't care.  So I rocked her again but she was fighting me, literally, so I put her back in and left. Then about 4 minutes later I heard a bump and a louder cry (brothers down the hall didn't think that was possible I'm sure).

The little princess had escaped.

So I did what any other dead beat mom would do. She's now sleeping comfortably in the middle of my king size bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment