Wednesday, July 13, 2011

That Shopping Trip

Yesterday while the boys were at VBS with a neighbor, Sweet Baby and I went to Target to snag some coupon deals. Only she was not feeling very sweet.

She has become That Baby in the store.

I keep a steady supply of animal crackers and juice for occasions like this, only this night we had issues... She started in earlier than usual, so I had to get the crackers out a mere 10 minutes into the trip, we were barely done with the $1 bins in the front. As you know it is back to school clothes shopping time, so I was browsing the clearance racks in the baby department when she uncovered my keys from the bag and started flinging them around my face and giggling. Real cute, and as I say "No, no, you'll lose those" she did something even better, something I hadn't even thought of until the event was flashing before my eyes... as soon as the words left my mouth, something small and shiny leapt from her tiny hands. I spent the next 10 minutes looking for the end of my rather expensive clickey key slider thing, without it and we would have been setting up camp in Target clothes racks. After that she was a wee upset I took the keys from her and in her emotional state, overturned the bowl of crackers.

Oh joy.

Animal crackers all over the floor. Can't eat them off of this carpet, even if we don't tell Poppy. Gross. We both looked down at the floor in disbelief and muttered, "uh oh."

That's okay, we still have the sippy cup of juice. Only we are new to sippy cups, you know the real sippy cups with the hard top that aren't at all like a bottle. So all the new clearance clothes ended up damp and smelling a wee bit like apples...

So an hour later, we are in way backed up check out lines but because Target is great someone was sent over to open up a lane and the manager sent the lady with the crying baby right to the new guy. Yay!

I pull out my reusable shopping bags, my coupon stack, my coupon binder, her "peek-a-boo in checkout lines" blankie (you laugh, but I bet you're jealous your mommy didn't think to have one), and settle in. The guy pulls out the bags and jokingly says, "Oh, you're That lady" (Meaning the one who doesn't want millions of plastic bags to suffer simply because I have an addiction to shopping, but I do believe he was just trying to make conversation and in no way MEANT what he said to sound like, well... American).

My reply was simple. "Yes, I am."

Then at the end, I hand him my coupon stack. "And I am That lady too, the one with the 2 coupons for almost everything in the cart lady."

By this time, the Sweet Baby had grown tired of the peek a boo blankie, we were out of crackers, and everything she had on was juiced. Not happy. "Oh, and I am THAT lady too, the one with the crying baby, cart full of stuff, reusable bags, and coupons. You're favorite!"

We both had a good chuckle. I did manage to have $59 in coupons though.

No comments:

Post a Comment